Friday, August 19, 2016

When Yoga Teachers Get Injured

A couple weeks ago I was teaching a class I've been teaching for a couple years. It's what we call a 'Slow Flow' at our studio, with lots of sun salutations and standing poses. It's a style of yoga I've been practicing off and on for more than twenty years.

I tend to demonstrate the poses and also walk around the room to check alignment of students. We were all in a Downward Facing Dog, and I led the class to step first the right foot forward into a Warrior I on the right, and then on the left. (If you have no idea of the poses I'm talking about, it's okay, just please keep reading until I make my point!) When I stepped my left foot forward and stood up to Warrior I, a pose I have done hundreds of time, I felt the left side of my back crunch or tear (not sure how to describe it, but if you've ever hurt your back, you can probably relate!) I thought 'uh-oh' and 'what?', but as a professional hid my pain and continued teaching the class, although not demonstrating much.



 I couldn't understand how a pose I had practiced hundreds of times before with no problem could have resulted in an injury. I was frustrated with myself, re-thinking what was different this time or what I did 'wrong.' I teach at a studio whose motto is 'safer, smarter yoga' and we are constantly reminding students to never push, always listen to your bodies, never force any poses. Some of our students are healing from a number of injuries or ailments, and we always stress the importance of safety. Here I was teaching a class and I ended up injuring myself, but it wasn't because I forced anything; it just happened. Who knows why it happened or what was different this time, but the injury brought with it a valuable lesson.

That is the lesson I learned; as careful as we are when practicing yoga asana, as aware as we are of listening to our bodies, sometimes injuries still happen. When a student gets hurt in a class, it may not be the teacher's fault. Sometimes even yoga teachers get hurt! (Happy to report the injury is now healed!)


No comments:

Post a Comment