Monday, August 29, 2016

Why Gentle Yoga?

Why Gentle Yoga?

"The gentlest thing in the world overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

The gentlest thing in the world is an open mind.
Since it doesn't believe what it thinks,
It is flexible, porous, without opposition, without defense.

Nothing has power over it.
Nothing can resist it.

Even the hardest thing in the world - a closed mind-
cant resist the power of openness.

Ultimately the truth flows into it and
through it, like water through rock."

From the book: A Thousand Names for Joy: Byron Katie; pg. 128


I started practicing yoga in my 20's and like many yogis, enjoyed an active practice. Many years later, I still do, but I have come to truly see the benefits of gentle yoga. Before I was really educated about it, and experienced it for myself, I don't think I gave it the credit it deserves, but this type of yoga truly heals the body and the mind.

While some students who practice gentle yoga do have injuries or limitations, we can ALL benefit from this slower, deeper practice. Moving slowly while really focusing on the breath allows us to become much more aware of what's happening with our bodies. By not pushing to our edge in a pose, we can experience asana in a new way and find opening that may allude us in a more vigorous practice.

I see the benefits and changes in my students, and I've seen it in myself. I experience the usual low back aches, neck and shoulder issues that many people experience.  When I have those aches and pains, it's gentle yoga that is my solace. What we do to our bodies over time through work and stress takes a toll, and gentle yoga allows us to finally listen to our bodies and be gentle with ourselves. It also feels great and increases strength, flexibility and range of motion in ways that may be surprising.


Here is another poem, shared with me by my lovely teacher, Lanita Varshell, who has opened a whole new yoga world for me with her teachings:

"To relax is not to collapse, but simple to undo tension....

The tension that has been accumulated in the body and in the mind
by years of forceful education.

Tension is the result of will, effort and prejudices.

We have been trained, during the first part of our lives, to struggle to achieve.

Now we work in the opposite direction.... by letting go.... giving place to a new action..
the action of un-doing.

This will stop the habitual process of 'doing' which has become mechanical."

By Vanda Scaravelli- European Iyengar Teacher


Can you think of one person who couldn't benefit from slowing down? I can't.

Additional Resources:
http://www.gaia.com/article/go-softly-benefits-gentle-yoga


Kristin Akerele, MPH, RYT 200

No comments:

Post a Comment